Monday, May 5, 2008

Another 10k down!

I ran my second 10k on Saturday.  For those of you who don't know, a 10k is 6.2 miles.  I had talked with my friend Laura about it a couple months ago and told her she should do it with me, then I went and signed her up.  Happy Birthday early, Laura!!!  Anyway, she went.  Reluctantly.  But she went.  We got up early and drove out to Hagg Lake, which is about 50 minutes from us.  We got off to a rough start.  Poor Laura was having a horrible morning.  Well, it can't get any worse, right?  We head out to the lake.  Yep, we get lost.  I have this awesome GPS, but the battery was dead and I couldn't find the car charger.  We make it there anyway.  So what if we had to call Mike when we got lost.  We almost found it on our own!

 

Anyway, we got there about 30 minutes before the race.  Go through check in and then potty stop.  We are ready!  Oh, I forgot to mention, that on the registration, it described that course as "rolling hills".  Ok, I run in HUBBARD.  Where the only "hill" is the one my house sits on.  It's FLAT here!!!  But I'm sure that we can do it!  We get lined up and time starts.  We're off and running.  We had decided to leave our ipods in the car so we could visit as we run.  Well, let me tell you, there are no "rolling hills" out there.  There are FREAKING MOUNTAINS!  It was an out and back, but I swear, it was up hill BOTH ways!  However, it was beautiful.  It is amazing watching the "real" runners go.  I am amazed at their speed and skill.  Maybe someday...

 

We actually had a great time and finished in (for us) a pretty good time.  I was able to shave over 2 minutes off my old time, but the last one was flat.  So, if you factor that in, we did great!  Oh, we finished in 1:29:35.  We don't need to discuss the fact that there was a 78 year old man who ran the 10 MILER in less time than that...

                               8190154-IMG_8446

Now, I have about 2 weeks until my "Reach the Beach" bike ride for the American Lung Association.  Then 6 weeks until my first Triathlon.  I know that I'm not the best athlete out there, or the skinniest, but darn it, I feel great when I'm out there and just knowing that I can do it is worth it!

5 comments:

Mike said...

Nice work baby! AMAZING!!!!

Ethington Family said...

I think that is great! heck, it's a lot more than i can do right now. I love when you add pictures too, they are so nice to have visual. hey i'm not sure if it was canby pond or not, but we were in canby and there was a pond. does that help? have a great day and great job!!
mary

Brynn said...

WHOO-HOO! Congrats! I think you running up mountains is hilarious! Now you're sounding like mom... "it was uphill, both ways..." LOL

Keep up the good work.

Shelley said...

Wohoo! Nice work, Becki!

valerie said...

Hey Becki! I get winded just reading about you running all over creation. Gr8 job and good luck in the coming weeks and events!
Valerie