Tuesday, November 13, 2007

house pets


So, I have been meaning to write about how long, exactly, can a hamster live outside it's cage in a house with 5 kids and 2 cats? Then the answer came to me. IF (big if here) you pay REALLY close attention to your kitten, the hamster can be located (alive even) in about 3 days. Don't ask how I know this. Just trust me.

So, one of Adrie's favorite things to do in this life is to harass, I mean play with, her siblings hamsters. Lately she leaves Conner's hamster, Levi, alone. However, Tommy is a whole other story. His cage is conveniently located in the kids bathroom on the counter top. He is a master Houdini, so we moved him in there when he was literally eating through his plastic cage and it was so loud that the neighbors next door asked us to do something about it because it was causing sleepless nights for them. So, he's been in the bathroom for, oh, about 2 months now. Yes, he has a new cage, just never quite made it the 20 feet into the bedroom. Anyway, this makes for perfect access for Adrie. She LOVES to show him off to any and everyone. She isn't afraid to pull his cage apart to get to him either. So last night we had our good friends, the Allens, over for dinner. Their youngest son is 4. Adrie and Deacon play very well together and they disappeared after family home evening. Us adults were busy doing what ever it is adults do in the few minutes of peace and quiet they get. All of the sudden my friend Niki looks up the stairs and asks "Is that blood? Deacon, is that blood?" HUH? What, who, how??? I stop and run up the stairs. There is Adrie COVERED in blood. I'm not kidding. I'm looking for gouging eyes, missing limbs, razor slices (I'll come back to that). We narrow the pour spout to her hand. Missing fingers? Nope I count 10 (ok, well 8 and 2 thumbs). I flip her hand over and there is, no kidding, a pin prick! What the heck??? Who the heck knew that you had a flippin' artery in your finger? So, we got her cleaned up. Literally from head to toes. And come to find out, she wanted to show Deacon the hamster and Tommy didn't really want to play right then. Crazy. The funny thing about the whole thing was that Adrie didn't even cry until we put her hand under the water. Had that been Conner, he would have been a screaming girl at the first drop!

Ok, so the razor part... I was cleaning out my closet yesterday and Adrie and Caile were off doing whatever. Mike was home and laying right on the bed so I wasn't paying to close of attention to the girls. I could hear them. That should be good enough, right? Anyway, I come out of my closet (yes, I DID just type that I came out of the closet. Shut up!) and Adrie is chewing on my razor. She bit the razor part off and was really chewing on it. I about flipped out. However, no blood. She didn't cut herself. All I can say about that is that it's a good thing that I use my razors for 6 months! Guess it's time to get a new one!

No comments: